Terms & Conditions
By engaging Present2Past Genealogy, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Research will commence only upon receipt and clearance of the required deposit for the requested package level. Unless specifically agreed this will be 50% of the chosen package price. For bespoke work please see quote.
- All deposits are non-refundable
- I will advise on an estimated completion date based on the package level selected, and will keep you informed during the project. I will give you two weeks’ notice at the close of the project, at which point the balance of payment will be due.
- Completed projects will not be dispatched until full payment is received and cleared.
- Payment plan options can be considered to run for the duration of the project. The completed project will not be released until paid in full.
- Should you at any time during the project decide to upgrade to a higher-level package, an additional deposit will be required to match the new package level selected.
- If a client wishes to include their own personal photographs or documents in the chosen project, and have the right to do so, the client must send all data within two weeks of the commencement of the project, in order for personal data to be included.
Unless previously agreed, any such photographs/documents must be provided in digital format – CD, DVD, memory stick, or email in JPG, GIF, PDF or PNG format, and must include a correct caption covering the identity of the person or persons pictured, the date, and location.
- No responsibility will be taken for incorrect information being transcribed into the report, if such steps have not been followed.
- I can scan original documents. However, I cannot accept responsibility for originals in my possession whilst being stored or during transit/post.
- For any documents/photos submitted to me for inclusion in the final project, it will be presumed that you have obtained the appropriate permissions from any third parties, and that they can be reproduced in your final book and any such books purchased subsequently.
- If specific genealogical research is commissioned, rather than a package, a quote will be provided within seven days of a detailed request, and will be based on an hourly rate of £15 per hour, an admin fee of £25, plus expected expenses such as certificates or any other pay per view record. Any required deposits and an expected date of completion will also be outlined.
- Any quote will be valid for 30 days, after which point a new quote will be required. If the quote is accepted by the client, the outlined deposit will then be due immediately.
- I reserve the right to add any reasonable expenses to a quote if required, for things such as photocopying/printing/digital surcharges when at records offices and/or any other research venue in which these services are provided at cost to the researcher, and I have no way of receiving the required documents free of charge.
- On the day the site-based genealogical research is taking place, it is preferable for the client to be contactable if possible, in order to take a call should there be a need to discuss an increase to the budget. For instance, if an archive suggests a visit to an alternative venue may be necessary for additional research.
- No research time/budget will be exceeded whilst on-site, unless agreed with the client at the time. If it is agreed, once I have left the premises of the research venue additional travel expenses may be required.
- Any electronic files will be kept securely for a minimum of 12 months upon completion of a project, during which time additional copies of the completed book, charts, or trees can be purchased. After this time they may be archived and/or deleted, and further copies of books may not be possible.
- I reserve the right to use information or extracts of the report on my website and/or advertising. Under no circumstances will these include information relating to living people, unless names/DOBs have been omitted/altered for personal security purposes. Information used may relate – but not be inclusive to – an interesting occupation or social event linked to a particular person or town.
- During a research project, records viewed may be original documents, images of originals or transcriptions of original documents completed by third parties. Due to the nature of genealogical research, it can be difficult to read certain documents, and therefore no liability can be taken for mistakes or misleading information gleaned from these difficult or third-party sources. The final report may include such documents, and where contradictory information is found, it will be highlighted and my interpretation of it explained.
- In some instances certain records required to prove/disprove a fact may not be publicly accessible, have survived, or even exist. Much like today’s privacy concerns, some of our predecessors did not wish to share certain information, or simply did not know it in order to have it accurately recorded.
- On receipt of a deposit and commencement of the project, initial research enquiries will be conducted. Should this suggest completion of a project may not be as straightforward as ‘normal’ projects, I will contact the client within the first 30 days to discuss potential problems. At this point a decision can be made whether to continue with potential additional charges, to transfer to an alternative surname if possible, or to cancel the commission for a return of the deposit, less any expenses, such as certificates purchased.
- Should I request that a project be cancelled in full, a refund of any deposit paid less any expenses already accrued will be applicable
- If cancellation is requested by the client, the full deposit will be retained. If the research part of the project has been fully completed at this point and a write-up commenced, additional monies may still be due proportionate to the level of completion at the time of cancellation to cover time and expenses.
- With the exception of Bronze, the fixed-package options include a thermal-bound softcover book as standard, although an upgrade to a leather hardback book is possible and can be requested in writing at any point during the research period, up until the point that the final balance is requested.
- The Bronze package looks at one surname and consists of the research time and a family tree chart. There will be no final report or records produced for the client, however the package can be upgraded at a later date, and a write up/book can be commissioned at that time.
- In all research packages it will be my intention to go as far back as reasonably possible, which in many cases can be the early 1800s/late 1700s. I aim to reach 1837 as a minimum, after which point the research in some cases becomes more difficult due to accessibility of the records, and survivability concerns. This may not always be possible due to record and time constraints.
- I can only advise on the facts that I find within the accessed genealogical records. Any additional information such as maps, social history, occupational information, pictures, or illustrations will be compiled from pre-published resources that are in the public domain. Such information is not guaranteed, but will be included where possible to help to illustrate your ancestors; lives.
- On receipt of the finished project it is recommended that you read thoroughly your completed project as soon as possible. Although great care is taken to provide you with as accurate a product as possible, should there be any errors that are the fault of Present2Past Genealogy then a one-month grace period will be provided, during which time I will endeavour to rectify any errors.
- If any such errors are due to ‘client error’, for example where I have been misinformed of starting information or information on photos/documents provided is incorrect as per the above clause 4a then any rectification will be at additional charge.
- Any personal data I hold on the client will be used to complete your commissioned project.
- If a third-party genealogical website is used to build your family tree it will remain private, and at no point will any information be shared with anyone. All individuals living and deceased will remain hidden.
- Upon completion of the project any such online tree will be removed from the third-party website and only stored locally as per clause 6.
- At no point will any information contained in your project be passed on to any third party, with the exception of any stationers that may be used to produce the final product i.e. book and/or tree.